Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by wizard
What is the .270's claim to fame?

Most commercially successful (not military) high velocity cartridge designed for BG hunting and suited to bolt action rifles. It didn't have the help of cheap surplus rifles, Uncle Sam, or abundant surplus ammo to make it popular(unlike the 30/06, 308,and 223,7x57 etc etc. All these were government sponsored, tax payer supplemented cartridges).

OTOH the 270 had to earn its popularity the hard way.....in the hunting fields in the hands of BG hunters who actually paid out of their own pockets to use it. Guess they liked it....a few million BG animals later that is.... laugh

Ushered in the light bullet/high velocity/moderate recoil trend that so many cartridges emulate today( Whether most realize it or not,much cartridge development sought to do nothing more than equal the ballistic performance of the 270. Count 'em and weep..... smile Most got run into the dust bin by the 270).

Used successfully on every major continent and about every major species of BG pretty much world wide..

Light rifles, light recoil,flat shooting (effective about as far as 98% of BG hunters have any business shooting at anything living),ample killing power and sufficient for about anything. Millions of rifles, millions of rounds of ammo, millions of dead animals....literally.

What's its claim to fame? Kidding right!?

Why would anyone bother asking the question.... smile confused

Talk about pizzing in someone's cereal huh Bob. Earlier today, as I was driving home from work, I was thinking I've never shot any big game animal with my 270. Does that mean I still have my man card??? laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA