I use mostly H4831 unless I run into one of those 270's that seems to want a dose of nitro to tighten groups,in which case I use RL22. I will do that until I run out.

I have one of those 270's right now. It has a longish throat and does not like H4831 like my other ones do, but loves RL22 and 130 Nosler Partitions. I killed two bucks with it last year.

Temp stability aficionados will have to forgive me for my ambivalence since I have killed quite a few mule deer and whitetails in temps from the 70's down to 25 below zero using RL22 without a hiccup. Just lucky I guess.

I have loaded the case with RL25,7828, H4350, IMR4350 IMR4831,4064,RL15, H4831 ( WW II, Scottish stuff, and the present stuff). Which one works "best" depends on the rifle.

I wish I could say, after 40 years of loading the cartridge that any of these newer,miracle powders show any real ,material improvement over what I was using 30-40 years ago but in reality I have not seen it....other than some rifles preferring one powder over another in accuracy or a bump of 50-60 fps in velocity.

I am not afraid of the RL series since Ive killed BG animals continent wide with their products. I think some of the comments on here about RL 22 and others are pretty funny. The powder is similar to things like MRP, Norma 205,etc and I have noticed how much velocity it will lose in temp swings varies a lot depending on the cartridges.

I swear sometimes people look for problems because they read about it on places like this. I have seen more variation lot to lot with supposedly "temp stable "powders than I have temp swings but no one ever talks about that.

I like the 270 because its boring and I hate getting hung up on ballistic nuances.Just stuff it with your favorite powder, worry more about loading a decent hunting bullet, and go kill stuff.

If you miss because your powder changed your POI in the middle of a hunt, it's likely your own fault. Frankly I never heard of such a thing.

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/09/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.