Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by southwind

I like the way you think!

southwind I know temp stability is important for very long range shooting but I wonder how many who complain about it are truly affected by it.

I have used RL22 in various 270, 7mm, and 30 caliber cartridges and shoot those rifles from summer heat to temps from 0-20 degrees, mostly here on my range and have not seen these problems. How much velocity are people losing in the "cold"? 50? 150? 250 fps?

OTOH last year a new lot of H1000 showed 100 fps less velocity than my old lot with the same charges. Fortunately I had some ammo still loaded with the old lot with me so checked it immediately.

Years back I noticed IMR4831 lost about 120 fps in the 7 Rem Mag with 140 gr bullets in cold temps but almost nothing in the 270 winchester. i still killed everything everywhere with that old 7 mag.

What really cracks me up are guys worrying about temp stability in going from 80 degrees in the summer to 30-40 in the fall......30-40 does not qualify as "cold" anywhere.....LOL. Thats just normal season to season transition.

eek eek eek I don't go outside unless it's at least 70! laugh

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor