We discovered using the pressure cooker a couple years back. We now use one all the time. First, I have to tell you that some of the worst meals my dear Mom ever turned out were done in a pressure cooker. She eventually, saints be praised, retired it to the basement. Given that experience I was decidedly skeptical until a friend mentioned how well they worked.

My wife and I bought a [bleep] 6qt stove-top model and started playing with it. What speeded us up the learning curve was a copy of the not immodestly titled Americas Test Kitchen book Pressure Cooker Perfection. I highly recommend it.

My wife makes a great mushroom risotto but it takes nearly an hour of ladling hot broth into the mixture and constant stirring. Waaaay too long for a weeknight dinner. The pressure cooker turns it out in about 6 minutes flat.A whole whole chicken, browned first in the pressure cooker is done in about 35 minutes and it produces some of the best , most moist chicken we have had. Asian style beef ribs which would take 4 hours in the oven are done in 30 minutes or so.

We do a lot of entertaining, especially at our summer home in Maine and found we needed a bigger model, so we bought another [bleep]... this time the 8 qt. The pressure cooker has become absolutely indispensable. Get the ATK book. I know a lot of people are buying the electric models, but they really are not necessary and to me, just complicate things. The book has recipes adapted to the electric models also.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.