I shoot to stay off the shoulders and ruin as little meat as possible.

I tend to use mono bullets though I run bergers at times.

Mostly they run. No big deal to get down and go find em. Dog loves his work anyway, though he has more fun with others don't quite kill em right off. But I prefer they don't suffer personally.

The only way to get a guaranteed DRT is CNS shot, so if I desire that and a nice animal to gut with the least mess, I simply head shoot them if the chance is correct and the distance is right and my body is agreeable to make the shot.

Beyond that punch the ribs through the lungs and chill out and go get the meat when the time to move is right.

Being capable and practiced of following the trail sure isn't a bad thing to have in the back pocket just in case... shoulder shots even run now and then... even the high ones. Sometimes the high ones are so high they don't even kill... just wound.

Equipment wise, I prefer to have a solid MOA or under shooter. But solid MOA isn't anyting to snivel at, meaning 10-20 shot group capable of MOA or under at max distance. Anything else better is welcome and gravy for sure.

I have failed to get htat on my 300/221 so far, except on supersonic loads which I won't use, and its limited my distance on shots with that gun but I keep working... Wondering often if I should replace the factory barrel and see any improvement... there is still time for that though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....