Some response observation:

First, the post was not geared for a woodsmanship response. I've seen changes is how we Deer hunt here. Which in my area has been in response to a couple reasons. One would be because of food availability. It was actually a migration to our southern counties better farms and woodlots. The historic northern counties were at one time overpopulated and the Deer slowly over time-took about 40 years for them to get there in numbers-moved south to the better farms and smaller woodlots.

With these smaller habitats compared to the big woods, hunters who chose to hunt those parts of the southern counties obviously no longer had the opportunity to roam as much as those of previous generations. However, there are also fairly big wood areas there also. Then the outdoor shows came about and stand hunting became what many today learned as how it should be done. You can't deny the influence those shows have had.

As far as the foot hunter moving Deer they don't see? Well of course that is a given. Hell I've watched videos where the Benoits moved them out. You think we won't? grin It goes with the game, and yes they often get up and move a little. The good still-hunter either sees them move off or reads the sign they recently did so and adjusts. Just because they have moved off a little doesn't mean they have escaped. Admittedly however, most give up on those Deer at that time. I've found that is often a good time to take a stand and wait and hour or so, for you will often catch them milling around or moving back to where they were bounced. Not a givin, but sometimes it works. Or one can quick foot it, move to the front and catch them. It's a guessing game and sometimes you get it right.

Shooting thru holes is a favorite of mine. What size holes and how far away holes? Baseball sized holes, I'm calling luck if you pull it off. Basketball sized holes? Really no big test of skill and an inch rifle from field positions will do it just as easily as the .5er. Most "holes" in the big woods are vertical and not round.

I didn't imply the man with the accurate rifle couldn't do both. I do know some who observe what is going on around them more so than others. One in particular often hunts with with a custom shop Remington that is extremely accurate. He is far from the best shot and his Father sights it in for him and he takes a few shots with it and goes hunting. You don't want to bet against him when it comes to killing big Bucks. He does it consistently. While his Dad is practicing his shooting, he is scouting out Bucks. He also sees and hears things most will not clue in on and he also kills them with a 1.5inch or so rifle.

Thing I have noticed about the tree stands is for the most part here in Pa you are most likely to find them within a couple hundred yards of where the truck is parked. Get back in past a half mile or more and it is rare to come across one. Now if the hunters push the Deer back in, why wouldn't the stands follow? Well the reason is it's a PITA. Not only to lug the stand in but lug it and a Deer out for a long distance, and the vast majority hope the easy way will win the race.

So far probably the best response:

Originally Posted by Poconojack
It's much harder to find a big whitetail buck than put a hole through his vitals....

I'll hunt them both ways situation, time and health dictating. However, you get on your feet woods roaming in your blood and you will know there is a difference. You will bang flop some and some you will find piled up after the run. It's all good.

Also, you don't need only wet ground to still-hunt. Makes it easier, but it's far from necessary.

Last edited by battue; 08/18/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler