It's starting to cool off a bit. My hunter's spirit is stirring once again. I grew up in Ohio, and squirrel season was the first thing to open up, usually around the second week of September. Squirrel hunting was a big deal down there. Mom and Dad expected me and my brother to put some meat on the table, especially in years when Dad's carpentry work was tight.

We saved squirrel tales and sold them to Mepps. A season's worth of squirrel tales bought all the .22 ammo I needed for the next season. I had started my hunting with a little Fox Model B 20 gauge, but found out it just couldn't consistently bring those bushytails down out of the tops of the huge beech trees on our family homestead. If you were standing in the bottom of one of the many ravines, and shooting into the top of the canopies, it might be 65 to 70 yards.

I haven't chased 'em in way too long. It's time to get back to basics. Who here hunts squirrels? I'm looking forward to doing it again this fall. The old Glenfield bolt guns sighted in and ready to go.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla