Nice to see so many of us still enjoy chasing the bushytails around. Surprisingly, there isn't a whole lot of interest in squirrel hunting up here. In Minnesota, it seems like it's more ducks, pheasants, and grouse. Rabbit and squirrel seem to be just an afterthought.

We used to do fried squirrel, or squirrel and dumplings. Mom used to have a coronary when Dad would lift the lid on the dumplings. Dad was a pot checker, and apparently that didn't work with Mom's dumpling recipes. The dumplings would come out hard as cannon balls if you "popped the top" early. She'd be mad as a wet hen at him.

I grew up in northeast Ohio, and we had fox squirrels. The things looked like groundhogs compared to grey squirrels. When I lived in Kent for a year, we had black squirrels. The story was that a research project using black squirrels at Kent State resulted in several of them being let loose, and they populated the area. Man, they were black as coal.

Up here in Minnesota we have greys and red squirrels. Those reds are a royal pain in the azz when deer hunting. I had one barking at me for over an hour one time and he finally pizzed me off enough that I shot him. With a 12 ga. rifled slug. Needles to say there wasn't much left.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla