Scott, when I mean "pass" I mean two commercial trucks at different speeds PASSING with happy running lights blinking rather than having an effing "governor race." Seen a few of those, you'd think the guy being passed could take TWO MPH off his dial-o-matic and help out, mmmmm?

And being able to run up a hill means you can tip over the top without going all the way to the bottom of the gearbox. In a younger time, I drove wheat, that was a study in momentum management, you betcha. I'd start grabbing gears way before I started any climb -- if it was safe to try it. Going down? All air brakes are good for is parking.

As for DJS, you don't get a medal or gold star for matching the number on your speedo to the one on the sign, okay? If there's room, move the heck over.

Being from Montana, when I go out of state, I'm repeatedly stunned by the vast number of "drivers" who have never, ever actually "driven the road" and adjusted their speed for CONDITIONS. They slavishly stick to the "speed limit plus 3" or whatever the heck their formula is -- and when CONDITIONS go south, they wonder why they're in an 80 car pileup?

Gosh, I miss Montana's basic rule.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.