Not at all. Ever.

I seldom use a GPS unit. Most often in large cities I'm not familiar with like Denver or Seattle.

Last used it last weekend when we went for an overnight camp trip. Weather was due to turn so I way-pointed when I was off Lockhart point, then again 6 miles away once inside the mouth of the Noatak, across Kotzebue Sound. Sure enough next morning was fog/mist/rain with visibility up to a mile at times. Got to waypoint 2 vicinity (judging by sandbars on either side) and could just make out the point across the Sound. smile. Way I like it! It's a straight n/s shot by compass. Allow for 16 degrees declination.

Since I have twice had a GPS unit fail when I wanted it, I always carry a compass and when called for, a map. Neither will have an antennae go south, or the satellite "roll over" in the middle of the day after the unit tested functional that morning. A compass let me sleep at home in a comfortable bed both times, rather than at my camp. (Damned thing is always wandering off!). Not to me toon batteries having the potential of going flat at the most I opportune time. Never happened to me, but I carry spares anyway.

Last edited by las; 08/30/16.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.