Originally Posted by carbon12
Don't think I've ever seen a stock with a relief cut beneath the left side rail. Is it functional?

Hello carbon12

thanks for the reply.

I've never seen that also. I think it was for a more pleasing look, or to give wide open access for fast reloading when the gun was empty. (and the scope was removed). Or, to remove some wood for a slim feel in the hand when carying the rifle around. Or, maybe the stock was slated to be "left-hand" at first, and he changed his mind.

Originally Posted by rockdoc
Always liked that rifle. Jack seemed to like the Sako rings.

I will have a look at some of the other publications, I have that Big Bore Rilfes magazine, the one I bought in 1983 is fairly tattered, so I bought a very nice one a few years ago off Amazon, or similar.

Cheers, Chris

Hello rocdoc,

thanks for the reply.

I think Jack liked those Sako rings because of the "stout" attahment and how he was able to make them "detatchable" and "repeatable" at a time when such rings did not exist commercially.

Yes, please check for other possible references to this rifle.

Thanks to the forum member that gave me this additional reference. its from the 1986 Gun Digest Hunting Annual. An article by Howard French himself.

And thank you for the pictures of that article. In lew of the lost provenance photos and letters, this serves as definative proof that my rifle belonged to Howard French. Perhaps other members will find additional articles that show my rifle.

Although the pictures are pretty dark with low resolution, all the features match and there is no doubt this is is the same rifle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Definately the same rifle, topped with the same Weaver scope that French had on it when he owned it.

[Linked Image]

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.