Originally Posted by 458Win
I have a couple of issues I have kept also and the piece Jack wrote on his tussle and being tossed by the buffalo is quite interesting. He admits that it was completley caused by his gut shooting the buff and was in no way the fault of the 458. He even goes on to say how great the 458 performed and how in the hands of Wally Johnson it saved his life .

All of this has been completely ignored by a few writers either have never read it, or who chose to make up stories about how Jack's bashing was the fault of the poor ballistics of the 458.

Hello 458Win

thanks for the reply.

I've also heard and read that the bashing was the fault of the under-powered 458 WM and that's the reason why Lott made the larger "458 Lott" wildcat cartridge. Later I found out that story was all BS. - just another urban legend.

Originally Posted by BullShooter
Buckstix-
The photo below is the one you requested, but I'm a bit late because you posted a part of it above....

....You're also better at avoiding edge effects with a scanner.
The caption states yours is a "three-slot 458 Mauser". I'll admit unfamiliarity with the 3-slot term. If it's not a typo, would you clarify?

Page 193 shows a stock inletted and with with glass bedding for a "big-bore Mauser". There appears to be a serial number in the glass bedding of the recoil lug. Does that match your rifle?

--Bob

Hello BullShooter

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the picture, but I found a copy of that Gun Digest on the bookshelf at my gun club. I took pictures of the pages with a camera.

I'm not familiar with the term "3-slot" either, I think perhaps it was a typo and should have said "3-shot" as my rifle holds 3 in the mag box. ? ? ? - just a guess.

No, the stock shown on page 193 is not mine. My gun's serial number is 4-digits, and not stamped on the bottom of the action in that location.

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.