Atvalaska: The VarmintMotherinlaw just passed on 8 days ago.
She was a very nice person who sang in the choir of her Lutheran Church.
She was 85.
She worked most all her life.
She was homecoming queen of her high school.
She had a nice retiremnent, along with a social security pension, owned her own home, had a nice savings account and had very good insurance.
Sadly she came down with Parkinsons disease and was confined to assisted care living then a nursing home over the last 7 years of her life.
The costs at the end (last two+ years) of her life were over $9,500.00 per month in the nursing home - not counting medicines!
Her assets (home etc), savings and assisted living insurance were long since wiped out even before she went from assisted care living to a nursing home!
I am certain her care and medicines costs the U.S. Taxpayers (you and me!) way over $700,000.00 in the last 7 years of her life not counting what medicare and her insurances covered!
My mother in law's transition from this life to the next was not just horrifically expensive it was sad and very trying on her children and relatives.
Its just a fact of life anymore, a slow or lingering death will lead to medical costs that WILL wipe out any and all working peoples assets.
I have a friend who went through this type lingering passings, with both his parents and both his wifes parents, and he now contends "there is something to be said about a good old fashioned heart attack"!
Wishing your mom the best!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy