Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Originally Posted by efw
“How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, “This is better than we thought!
The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant?”
Instead they say, “No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.”
A religion, old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the Universe as revealed by modern science might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths.”
― Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space

It may come as a surprise to you that Carl Sagan didn't know much at all about religion; just enough for his feeble mind to condemn it.

I completely agree that modern science has greatly magnified the beauty, breadth, and majesty of the creation... and to its chagrin much of the time, the Creator. My beliefs have no qualm with modern science; just the godless dogma of its priesthood.

Carl knew a great deal about religion. His battlefield was the Cosmos.

“Who is more humble? The scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us, or somebody who says everything in this book must be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of all the human beings involved?”
― Carl Sagan

“In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.”
― Carl Sagan

As a side note, ol' Carll was all agin animal research but when it looked like his number was up, he accepted treatment based on animal research and justified it because he was so important to the future of the world. ;-{>8

Reread his quotes about changing one's mind...

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan

Fraid you missed the point. Carl was not beyond a little enlightened self interest in his decision making.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.