Like all the New Vaqueros I've seen so far, mine came with a bright stainless hammer and trigger; something I detest on a blue single action revolver. Blue steel replacements can be had for most large frame Ruger SA's but at some point, I am told, Ruger decided OEM replacements for the New Vaqueros & 50th Anniversary size guns would be of stainless steel.

Power Custom makes blue Colt and Bisley style hammers & triggers for the NV/50th revolvers. I've handled a few Ruger SA's with them added and they look great, add a 'half cock' option and they produce an excellent trigger pull. I may buy purchase a set at some point. Prices start around 150 bucks including reduced power springs, which I have no use for.

I've already worked the trigger on my New Vaquero using the factory springs and it suits me fine. The half cock option is cool but not something I'm dying to have on this gun. I researched heat coloring stainless steels and there are lots of web references and videos if you're interested further. All the colors I wanted could he achieved under 700 degrees, with an oil quench. I didn't figure 700 degrees would harm the parts so long as the engagement surfaces didn't get beyond straw color (about 400 degrees) and the oil quench would negate any brittleness.

So with a little knowledge and too little sense for inhibitions, I decided to give this a try. I used an ancient Prest-O-Lite air-acetylene torch for the job. It's a pretty well-established piece of equipment as this 1914 ad attests.

[Linked Image]

I removed the transfer bar plunger & spring from the hammer, degreased the hammer and trigger and started applying heat. When I got the colors I wanted, I quenched the part in motor oil for 10 seconds and went straight back at it, heating just until the color darkened and quenching again. This is the result of three heats and oil quenches. I'm happy with the colors and I don't anticipate any problems. In 300 or so rounds I'll tear it down and inspect the engagement surfaces.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ