Originally Posted by local_dirt
That coloring looks great, Sarge. Now, when you doing the frame. grin

Ought to ask you to finish the coloring on the hammer and trigger on my Old Vaquero.

[Linked Image]

Believe me that frame & loading gate are in my crosshairs... just need to research removing & replacing the firing pin and spring first.

I've already had a couple of other people hit me up to do hammers & triggers for them. But I am flying by the seat of my pants here. One set might not color like another. I'm going to experiment with some different oils and see what works best.

I also don't know how durable the colors will be and absent a Rockwell Test, I don't know for certain how sear hardness was affected. The oil quench might have even surface hardened them a bit. I've got a hard Arkansas trigger stone and made a few passes over the sear & full cock notch to clear any scale off. I am for damn certain these parts are harder than they were before the heat treat.

Bottom line- if I ruin parts I was going to replace anyhow, you guys get to point and laugh but I'm not really out anything. I sure don't want to ruin anyone else's. Let me see how this goes and I'll PM you if it works out well.

Mighty fine looking Vaquero you have there.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ