Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
JimHnSTL: I am just operating under "old" rumors/notions/contentions that harm may come to rimfire guns if they are dry fired - something about harming the chamber.
I don't know?
I will say this I have one Ruger 10/22 Deluxe Rifle that I have fired at least 100,000 times in the last 25+ years!
Every tenth time I pulled the trigger I discovered that the Ruger rotary magazine was empty and I had "dropped the hammer" on an empty rimfire chamber.
So at least 10,000 times I have "fired" (pulled the trigger) on that 22 L.R. with an empty chamber.
To date I have had no noticeable troubles by doing so - so your contention can be proven by me.
I have no other brand rimfire gun that has had this history so my knowledge of other brands is about nil.
Thanks for the info from and about the Rugers (of which I was not aware) and I am anxious to shoot my new pistola.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Always better to be safe than sorry. Most rimfires will damage if dry fired, especially older models. On any new model though I always read the manual before trying myself. Ruger though does state it being safe in the owners manual and on the web site in their frequently asked questions.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!