Having shot 257 wtby for some years, after wanting to try the velocity theory, at first I was about to bite. Then we had some deer run, some up to 100 yards or so. All identical hits, lungs only, nothing near the spine.

Last falls largest buck I've ever taken, I decided to shoot with the 257 instead of the 300/221 since he was at about max range for my suppressed loads. Even that buck managed about 40 yards.

I've shot quite a few with 300 wtby and exactly one dropped on the spot.

If I had to really think it through, I"d lean likely to a frangible bullet( those days are way past for me though basically) and as fast as I could drive it. Still having enough gun for an exit wound.

But I don't care if they run. No big deal. Gives Tiger some fun trailing and keeps him sharp for the real trailing jobs. LIke last fall, non vital hits on a buck, Buck was shot 3 hours earlier and it poured rain for those 3 hours... Took tiger a bit of time to work it all out in his nose and then we found the buck.

I digress.

The family I spoke of earlier with B/C bucks, used to all shoot 7 mags. They found the 223 killed those same bucks just as dead as quickly. In fact the last one that was around 177 was DRT from lung only and a 223 and 69 bthp.

Let me toss out one thing as I leave this post...( well obviously shot placement trumps everything regardless of caliber, AND know your limitations)
Family here for some reason, had a fellow that shot 220 swift all his life that I knew him. Shot all the deer in the flank. Family and he claimed never a one did anything but DRT. Did the gutless cleaning then on them... Not my choice and likely never will be, but YMMV. Poor shot location choice IMHO. But it worked. And I've heard of more than a few that had the same results 270/06/7 mag, 308/243 a few times

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....