Originally Posted by GonHuntin
My wife killed a bull with the 140 grain TTSX from a 7mm SAUM (3050 fps muzzle velocity), the photo shows the recovered bullet.

[Linked Image]

The hollow point on these bullets is so shallow that, at full expansion, the frontal area is not very large. The bullet above is expanded to the bottom of the hollow and can't expand any further.

Her first shot took out lungs and exited but the bull stayed on his feet, so she hit him through the chest again. The recovered bullet is a "finisher" that smashed bone from close range when the bull tried to get to his feet as she walked up to him. The internal damage was not that impressive, I would trade a bit of penetration for more expansion in this bullet.

Don't know if the GMX or E-Tip would be any better but I'd use something other than the 140 TTSX in the 7-08. Maybe a 160 Accubond?

This goes counter to my experience with the 140 TTSX. It opens wide and violent, but often loses petals, as looks to be the case with the bullet in your pic.

Below is a pic of the lungs a bull moose I shot with the 140 TTSX impacting at about 2900 fps. You can see the wound channel through the lungs. The bullet exited after a quartering shot, and was not recovered.

[Linked Image]

Here are the petals recovered from a WT buck I shot with the 140 TTSX. The shank exited. The petals were embedded in the off side. The buck was DRT.

[Linked Image]

Some more petals recovered from 140 TTSX kills on deer and elk...

[Linked Image]