Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by olblue
As far as skill goes. A pilot that has just got his ticket will be as good as he's going to be. Judgment that's another matter. Just my opinion. --- Mel

I have been a flight instructor and commercial pilot for over 40 years and the FAA pilot exams are set at a basic skill level. Experience counts a lot more and is also where you learn judgement. That is the real equallizer. You can learn HOW to fly in as little as two week but learning WHEN to fly takes a lifetime !

I can definitely say, from flying thousands of miles with small, regional carriers and pilots of varying experience, that skill in Alaskan flying definitely improves with experience in relative conditions. Gravel runways singularly oriented to the prevalent wind direction have put to test even some of the pilots new to the region who have many hours of military experience. And some of the new pilots can barely grow their whiskers which can be even worse. There is a reason why the small regionals I usually fly with, reportedly hire pilots with a minimum of 1300-1500 hours.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.