Originally Posted by Taco280AI
No chit there is going to be a pilot shortage, why would someone go $50k-100k in debt to learn to fly just to get paid $20k a year starting off? Is where the aviation industry was for years.

It is great to see some of the regionals are starting in the $40s-50s now. Know a few 60 guys who are going to the airlines as they're leaving the Army and flying little regional jets.

I'm about to start up at a flight club to get my fixed wing ratings. Will be for fun in the near future and probably go airlines when I'm done with the Army as well.

If you want to read a good book that lays this all out pretty good, read "Squawk 7700" by Peter Buffington. It is a real eye opener as to how bad the small airlines and freight companies abuse young pilots who are willing to fly almost for free to build time for a "real job."

I work for one of the largest, if not THE largest flight training school in the US. These kids all have a dream of being a captain on a wide-body someday. Instructor turnover is huge; kids teaching kids.

Most of our students are contract students and headed for foreign jobs though.

They teach them to fly assuming that they are going for an airline job. No seat of your pants stuff, no thinking outside the box, just get them ready for a commuter airline.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.