Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
What's wrong with a mag full of 400 gr. TSX Rigby loads?

DF

That's one bullet/caliber combination I have some experience with. I used the 400 TSX in my CZ .416 for one trip and got puzzling results. It started with two shots into a blue wildebeaste, one quartering toward and the other broadside through the shoulders. Neither exited. There was some small stuff then the next week in a different country I had one turn 90 degrees in a 20 yard broadside buffalo.

These days its an accepted part of internet lore that the CZ .416 has a slower rifling twist than most of the others in .416 and that the 400 gr TSX is on the verge of unstability terminally and that one would be better served with a 350 grain. It might even be true for all I know, Barnes now recomends the 350. I never bothered to find out, just started transistioning to A-Frames in that caliber and the .375 before settling on the.458. There's a day and night difference in visible/audiable hit indictators. I did quite a bit of experimenting with light TSXs in the .458, partly to see if the bullets would turn it into a .375 and mostly to reduce recoil on culls. It does a decent job of both.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.