Originally Posted by John_Havard
I'm thinking about purchasing a lightweight bolt rifle, probably in my long-favorite caliber of 308 Win. I'd appreciate any first-hand input on the brand(s) of rifles you'd recommend: Sako 85 Carbonlight? Kimber Mountain Ascent? What others are out there that are in the same weight range that should be considered?

Not too many production choices in a 308win that comes out the box at no more than 5 pounds. This rules out most of the rifles noted as favorites throughout the thread. With that said, if I were seeking such a rifle, likely it would be best suited for extreme backpack sheep and goat hunting in most remote mountains, where I'd be willing to sacrifice some rifle shoot ability, to save that extra pound off the base rifle; 5 pounds vs 6 pounds. If this were the case, it boils down to which rifle fits and works best for YOU, not me.

Personally, my cut off is about 6 pounds base weight. Regardless if going fixed sights only, or going light trim scope keeping package under 7 pounds, I greatly enjoy the handling and shoot ability of the rifle, while it is still easy to pack in most any hunting situation. Going below this cut off, takes more joy from my shoot ability than I gain in pack ability. Also personally, the production rifle that fits me the best, is the least finiky, and gives me the least troubles in shoot ability when on the lighter weight end of the scale, is a Sako Finnlight, 6 pound base weight. The new Carbonlight is the same rifle and dimensions, but adds a custom ground pounder type stock, and options for a threaded muzzle. So likely that would be my first choice if my hunting became so extreme that I needed to cut a pound off my preferred Finnlight, while staying box stock production.

What fits and works better for you, same as boots and backpacks, may very well be different.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood