I think we're saying the same thing, Art. Since there's no better "soakage" with thinned first coats, there's also no worse soakage (of the actual resins and solids). The end result is the same- it's just that it takes more coats to achieve a decent build when one wastes one's time thinning the initial coats. The "bite" of the first coat will be the same, what varies is the quantity left behind in/on the surface. That's pretty much why I didn't make an issue of it above. No harm, no foul, just more work. If I'm wrong about that, I would like to learn why!

I do sometimes thin the last couple coats on a many-coated project, but that's due to my brushing technique. I hang an object such as a stock and flow the varnish on in heavy coats, letting it flow down and collect in big drips on the bottom edge. I thin the viscosity of the last coat or two to get maximum flow to eliminate drips and sags as much as possible in those final stages. I dodge the drips away until the varnish sets up enough to stop flowing, usually around 20 minutes.

Marine finishers have a saying that there is no such thing as a "last coat". Boat guys are continually sanding and re-varnishing (or they should be anyway) as maintaining the brightwork on a boat is a never ending chore. Thank god it's not the same for gun owners.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 12/01/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty