Yeah, West System 207 or 209 (I don't remember the number) is formulated with a viscosity and slow cure time to make it viable as a "sealer" coat. We used a fair amount of it. But as OC said, you must put multiple layers of varnish over it as it has almost zero UV resistance. It's been a few years now since I left that game and indeed there may have been advances made that I'm not aware of.

Around ten years ago I finished a huge slab of redwood for a local client. Roughly 6'x 3½'x 4" thick, with its natural edge. I actually flattened it by hand, then applied 10 coats Epifanes top, bottom, and sides. He mounted it as conversation piece/table on the deck behind his house. I warned him about getting a cover for it but he ignored me. Sure as sh*t, three years later the finish was failing. I labored to restore it and again suggested a cover. (Hey, he paid me handsomely and I really didn't mind the side money, but still...) At that point we got a local sail loft to custom fabricate a cover made of opaque sail material, and now it still remains quite presentable. UV light is the enemy of all and sundry finishes.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty