I wanted to throw this out there to see what others thought would be my best options for elk hunting with the Barnes TTSX. I have a number of rifles that I alternate on my hunts and it’s mostly based on what captures my fancy for the day. They include a Win. .30-06, pre-64 Featherweight .308, Rem. Mountain Guide 7mm-08, and a Rem. Faux Ti .270. Every one of the rifles shoots sub-MOA with the TTSX.....so I got that going for me. wink

Here is what I currently use for bullet weights with each rifle:
.30-06 – 150 grain
.308 – 150 grain
7mm-08 – 120 grain
.270 – 130 grain

I think I’m pretty much settled on the 130 grain TTSX for the .270, but I was wondering what folks thought about shooting the 130 grain as well for the 30 calibers, and the 140 grain for the 7mm-08.

I’ve basically operated on the assumption that a little more velocity is important to open the bullets, hence the question about dropping weight on the 30 calibers. That same assumption is also why I didn’t jump up to the 140 grain for the 7mm-08. I never shoot over 300 yards, and most often I’ll close the distance to less than 200 yards.

I know there are other bullets that might be better suited to the task but I don’t see myself deviating from an all copper bullet. I’m a Toxicologist so that definitely colors my opinions on lead ingestion both for my family and for secondary exposure via the gut pile. With that rationale as background for my bullet choice, what are your thoughts? Thanks folks.