Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
What's the difference between a spear house and an ice fishing hut?

Can you not spear out of your mobile home/ice fishing rig?

You eat those? I'm not even sure what that is, pike,musky,pickerel...

Pike.

I eat em, I happen to really like them, especially out of cold water.

LOTS of meat.

A spear house is also known as a "dark house". There are no windows, you intentionally seal it up really well so light can't get in through the walls or ceiling.

The only light you get is through the spearing hole in the floor. Kind of a glass bottom boat sort of thing. Then you can see the fish come in.

The spear hole is bigger, often times about a 24"x 36", or bigger yet.

You hang a decoy fish down there, often made of wood with little aluminum fins that help the decoy "fly" when you give a jerk on the line to make it look alive. Sometimes we put a live bait fish down there with a weight on it to keep it down in the spear zone. We don't use hooks on the decoy or bait fish.

Usually we like to set up in 6' or shallower. It's kind of nice if you can set up shallow enough to throw the spear and be able to hold the fish against the lake bottom until it's done thrashing.

Ice fishing houses (angling) use smaller holes to fish through the ice. Typically 6" on up to 10" with an 8" hole sort of being the more popular for this area.

With the way they are building these new insulated portable ice fishing shelters these days, it is possible to spear inside a portable house, they are dark enough and big enough.

My son's spear house was sort of an exercise in tradition, right down to the wood burning stove. You really don't see that any more, the wood stoves were popular in ice fishing shacks when I was a kid, now it's all propane.

Something clever here.