Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
I equate "running" something to refer to a piece of equipment that is motorized. You are running that equipment only when the motor is running.

In my mind one can run a drill press, or a chain saw, or a generator. Until I see a motorized gun I will not use that term in regards to a firearm. It sounds ignorant to me.

The General Electric Mini-gun does have an electric motor, which enables it to have a rate of fire of 2,000 to 6,000 rounds a minute. So yes, one can "run" a mini-gun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minigun

Just a thought...

Is not a manual operation of a mechanical device also considered running? IE; Running the bolt of a Rem 700.

What about the automatic cycling of an AR. Does one not want the rifle to "run" (ie operate) correctly?

I believe the term gets muddled a bit, but for one to say "I run a Sako Vixen for coyotes." Or one to ask "What rig are you running for deer this year?" is acceptable in most all circles of firearm and hunting enthusiasts. (haha "rig" is another term cringeworthy to some.)

Just my opinion on the matter...everyone use what they wish so long as the communication is made, I see no issue.