Jim. (Rug3) I think that you are making the point I'm about to show. I use to read a lot of posts from a guy in England. He hunted shot deer commercially. Killing hundreds per year. Sometimes it was like shooting fish in a barrel. Anyway, he said the only way to drop a deer constantly was a CNS (central nervous system) shot. He said that a heart lung shot denied blood to the brain killing the deer, obviously. He said that it took about 9 seconds to do this. Therefore a deer might make a 9 second death run. Of course we all have made that behind the shoulder shot that drops them, but in my experience most do run. Those that drop, flop around for a while. Nine seconds, I haven't timed it, but I suspect. I suspect that the shot behind the shoulder, that drops them, acts something like a sucker punch. A shot through the shoulder, while not hitting the CNS, tends to shock causing the deer to fall and not get up before it bleeds to death. If you want to drop your deer, you should make a shoulder shot. I know some say that one looses to much meat but a friend figured out that he only lost a pound or so making shoulder shots. He uses a 7-08 with 140 cup&core. Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!