Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Your boy has been attending public indoctrination for several years. Hes probably been indoctrinated at home from tv time as to be somewhat antipathetic towards guns and hunting.

Has he developed the desire to hunt by going with you or spent time around others who hunt and have presented it in a positive light?

Has he killed sparrows with a bb gun? Does he like to watch hunting shows on tv?

Ive seen kids drug of to sit in a deer stand for 3 boring hours never want to go again. Ive seen kids who were taught to shoot and sat in a stand and shoot a big buck as their first game and be completely turned off to hunting while guys there were high fiving and back slapping over what a great job he did while the kid is wondering wtf or even unhappy he killed an animal. Things like that have ended hunting for many.

Have you taken him hunting/camping where he has developed an appreciation for the outdoors?

I started those things as a 5 year old with dad and did it more as i got older with cousins, uncles and grandad. First time i was going deer hunting with dad i was 7 and dont think i got to sleep half the night due to the excitement, but i had been around uncles and heard the stories.

At age 4 I had watched the really big birds out my bedroom window even younger and wanted to get my hands on them real bad. I later would learn they were doves and quail that fall when dad had me as a retriever around the dirt tank he hunted over.

By the time i was 8 i was much deeper into hunting than "expressing an interest".

We moved to a ranch from town when i was 6. I was not happy to see vaqueros slit the throat of their dinner kid goat, or slaughter hogs. Glad i had been around grandad popping young roosters that ran loose on his farm in the head with a 22 or shooting jacks to feed the dogs.

I would not take a youngster on a long drawn out hunt as a first event. I have hear of kids getting very homesick and miserable. I even start pointer pups on very short trips afield until they become interested in the field and develop their desire.
If its something you really like then take your time. See what he wants to do.

He took his 1st whitetail back in October 2015 off our farm at age 8 during the Youth Firearm season ... and he's been along with me for some of my more memorable hunts. I do not force hunting on him and he still likes to do things most 9yr old kids typically do. Like playing video games or war in the house with his nerf guns.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

... he can get bored with hunting quickly if not kept entertained. No different than most at his age I'd think.

Great photo. Looks like he is having the time of his life there!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker