Originally Posted by RickyBobby
If I offended anyone for using the word "chased" when describing my past hunting experiences, I sincerely apologize ... sometimes I forget how easily everyone is offended in this day and age. Painting a horrific picture of us as "hunters" was not my intention. Please accept my apologies.
LOL! laugh

If I understand correctly neither have you hunted out of state nor have you hunted with your son on over-night trips?

I think those recommending simple steps up are on the right path. The fact your son has enjoyed hunting is great. A "big hunt" could be a few things and with young people I really like bird hunting as a first over-nighter or extended trip. A bird hunt in the Dakotas would be a blast, keep his attention, and isn't as serious of an endeavor. I've spent many hours walking with my boys behind dogs, shotgun broken open over my arm having conversations, and coaching quietly. They still talk about the great times to this day.

A big complicated hunt with the potential for foul weather and miserable conditions can be pretty discouraging early on.

Just my opinion based on raising three boys. Oldest loves to shoot but not hunt. I came on the scene a little late. Younger two started messing around in the field with me very young, shooting at four, hunting as it became legal. Both are very comfortable way out, and love to hunt. The youngest more so than the middle. Some personalities will just affect how they take to it.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson