Originally Posted by LNF150
Mike,

Did your father and the other people you know finally get the issue resolved? Or was it something that happened to them every time they purchased a firearm?

During my federal employment I was a permanent firefighter for the forest service then the blm. I had clearance to run the light and heavy fire engines which is why I had a cdl. I think they were deemed as emergency vehicle in the federal system. But I would have thought if I passed that background check with no issues, then it shouldn't be a big deal for this.

You can do a appeal and get a PIN number which is what requires the fingerprints. The PIN is no guarantee that the check will go through any quicker. My dad never bothered. Gets delayed about 75 percent of the time. He has nothing on his record other than decades old non criminal traffic.

He spoke with the ATF and they could not tell him why he was delayed. But some of the things that can draw a flag and a delay are similar names, something incomplete in there records, or a in depth background check. My dad had to be cleared by the feds for port and airport work when he worked construction. ATF also were the ones that told him the appeal process and PIN would be no guarantee against future delays.

True or not that is what he was told. Also the gun shop I deal a lot has told me the majority of his delays are for law enforcement and military.

Being the government who knows the real answer. No guarantee the appeal and PIN will help you. If your shop is ok with releasing the gun after three days and you can deal with the chance of waiting three days,I would just ride it out.