Originally Posted by 260Remguy

You've got to wonder if a long action 1920 in 30-06 and 270 would have been a successful competitor to the Winchester 54/70 and Remington 30. And, if it was able to hold its own in the bolt action CF market niche, would Savage continued to develop and upgrade it? After all, the Remington's entire 700 series of rifles has a tubular receiver and washer style recoil lug design that is not too dissimilar to the Savage 1920.

Yes, IMO Savage dropped the ball when they discontinued the M1920 in favor of the 40/45. A little more development work (longer action in addition to the original short one, continued stock improvements, more barrel weight selections, etc.) and it would've given the Winchester 54 a serious run for its money. I like, and own, them both- 1920's and 54's, but I lean toward the 54.

The 40's that fell into my hands went away pretty quickly. The .300 M40 I inherited from my dad went to my BIL who has used it with great success as his "go-to" rifle for 27 years now. I will admit that it has good balance, and the sights line up like magic when I shoulder it, but compared to the aesthetics of the 1920 & 54 (which also line up like magic)....

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/22/17.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty