Originally Posted by S99VG
No apologies needed, this is interesting stuff. Thanks for taking the time to post. I'd like to know more about the assembly of 40/45s that happened after WWII as I always thought that mine was an early example, but that was based on appearance and not the serial number. As I said, in all ways my Super Sporter resembles the earliest style. The metal is in great shape and being a bit newer could help account for that. I redid the stock as the finish was pretty much gone when I found it. Mine is an 06 but I'd like to find a .30-30 with the thought of shooting cast bullets.

I had my hands on the nicest 40/45 Super Sporter that I've yet to see last year. An elderly friend of a friend of a friend asked me if I'd help him find a buyer for it, so I posted it here and gave him the contact information of the guys were were interested. He ended up selling it locally for $250, which I would have paid him in a nanosecond if he'd offered it to me. It was a low serial Model 45, somewhere around 2550, that was all original except that the Lyman #40 peep sight had been removed.