I have been using Belgium made BARs since about 1970-71. I have had every caliber printed in Belgium. The only one I ever had that would not shoot some factory load under 1 1/2" was a Gd I 7mm mag. The best for accuracy was a .270 that was an honest 1/2" shooter with 130 CoreLokt.

I never had one that did not feed and fire. I basically sold all them when I started hand loading. They sometimes dented brass and all semis scatter brass about in the grass and weeds. Then I bought a pair of .30-06 and had one bored out to .338-06. That one had a tight chamber and it needed the full bolt drop to make sure the rounds were chambered when charging the barrel from the magazine. A slight push on the operating handle solved that. No problem when fired and picking up a round to reload.

I still have an '06 made in 1970 in a beautiful hand engraved GdIII wearing about grade IV or V wood.

The all steed guns are a little heavy, and the magnums are heavy. At 79 YO, I don't walk far anymore, but rather hunt from some form of ambush, be it a box blind, ground blind, a brush hide, or just park my Mule and watch a trail, food plot or water. They make some alloy framed guns that get under 7 #. Since the bolt locks into the barrel, this is no sacrifice in strength. No problem.

The only parts that I ever replaced on a BAR were a couple of recoil buffers which appear to be made of nylon. Cousin's kid failed to clean his for a few years and I decided that a new gas piston was in order from pitting. It did still work. The triggers can be smoothed by using thin strips of 800-1000 grit paper between the trigger and sear.

I got my first one as the result of total dissatisfaction with a 742. I like the quick repeat shot capability. I once went five for five with the .338.06 before the rest of a herd of South Texas pigs could flee my food plot. Next day the coyote hunting got good.

I have not used but see good comments on another forum about the Benelli.

BTW, the only interest that I have in Browning is my BAR, my Pigeon Grade 20 ga Superposed, a pair of wasp waist .22s, and my A-5. Add: I for got the three Safari bolt guns. They have made some good stuff.

Best wishes,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero