Hiaring8;
Good morning to you sir, I trust the first month of 2017 treated you acceptably well.

I'll begin with my standard advice to read through the stickied thread on the top here of "Planning a Hunt in Canada" as there's still a whole lot of pertinent information there.

If you have any specific medical issues that might require additional meds then have a couple talks with your doctor about taking along whatever might be needed to keep you healthy. As well, I've known a few folks who have been able to bring a broad based antibiotic on fly in hunts and in one case it was very good planning that they did so. Just a thought there.

The outfitter might have a "Spot" type device and might rely on radio phone or satellite phone. Either way if you want to be a belt and suspenders sort of person a Spot wouldn't weigh that much and if it makes you feel better then it'll be worth it.

At work, home and local hunts in our neck of the BC mountains I have a minimum of two pairs of gloves with me at all times. Again there's no appreciable weight and when you need them they're mighty nice to have a second dry pair. Same goes for dry socks.

I think we cover this in the hunt planning thread, but if you haven't been on a horse in forever, then now is the time to start riding as much as you can. Only time in the saddle will tell you for sure if your preference is tight or loose fitting clothing.

Personally I wear tight fitting jeans, moose hide short chaps and sorry for oversharing but very tight briefs as well before I get on any horse. We had horses for 17 years and I spent hours on them on the local mountains both hunting and chasing cows for a rancher friend. Lets just say that a two hour flatland trail ride and 6-8 hours slugging it out in tough country aren't remotely similar experiences.... wink

Spare batteries for the camera if you aren't using your phone. If you're using a phone for that, then a way to charge it.

I like a silk bandanna for a multitude of reasons whenever I'm in the mountains unless it's full summer and 100° up top.

A wool or wool blend stalking cap is always in my pack, with spares in the pickup as well, but then I've sported a Telly Savalas hairdo for decades now.

That's about it for now off the top of my hairless dome for now sir. If you think I can be of any help then by all means send me a PM and I'll do my best to answer any questions or point you towards one if I'm able.

Good luck on your year until the hunt and then of course on the hunt itself.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"