Good to see you back here Buzz.

Originally Posted by BuzzH
Whiptail,

I fully understand where you're coming from, its just not directed correctly.

Thanks for understanding.

Like others have said, and like I've stated to you in the past, there is a distinction between public LAND and public WILDLIFE.

You think you're excluded. You're not, you have 365 days a year access to all the federal public land you want. That is to say, I don't have any more access to the land as a resident to Wyoming than you do as a non resident.

I am excluded from hunting on Federal land and have given several examples though I agree I'm not excluded from being on Federal land.

Plus, you are looking at one small part of the legacy of public lands and one small part of the recreational value of public lands. There are many hundreds of thousands of people that enjoy our public lands that never hunt or fish. Hikers, mountain bikers, bird watchers, photographers, campers, etc.

I agree there's more at stake than just hunting but since this is hunting forum that's what I'm going to argue.

As to your complaint about your access to wildlife found on federal lands, that's up to the people that manage and control the wildlife there. Where that wildlife is found, is of no relevancy in your argument, none.

This is BS. Landowners have full right to deny hunting and dictate management practices. Try hunting on private land without permission and tell us how it turns out for you.

The States absolutely have the legal and full right to discriminate against you in regard to how we choose to distribute our wildlife resources. Some of the ways States choose to control NR hunters access to your wildlife resources, are to have guide requirements, charge more for NR licenses, limit the number of permits we give to NR hunters, etc. All perfectly legal, including Wyoming's right to require a guide for NR hunters in designated wilderness.
This is a wildlife access issue, not a Federal land access issue...no matter how many times you claim otherwise.

Without land there is no hunting. The two are inseparable.

Also, for the record, I am NOT a fan of the wilderness guide law in Wyoming. It is 100%, no questions asked, a Wyoming Guides and Outfitters Association welfare program...no doubt.

Glad to hear you are reasonable. I know you are a very smart guy.

But, if anyone is going to say that they will not support the idea of federal public lands because of a states right to control its wildlife as they see fit...well, they weren't much of a public lands advocate to begin with.

Without this threat the states are just going to run roughshod over the non-residents. It's called checks and balances.

The Wyoming wilderness guide law, while complete crap, is not nearly as restrictive from a wildlife access point of view, than what your state imposes on NR hunters. Without either knowing a private land owner in Texas, or paying an outfitter/landowner, I am virtually excluded from 100% of your States LAND and WILDLIFE.

No you are not. Texas does not discriminate against non-residents for hunting on STATE or Federal land. You have the exact same(crappy) odds that a resident has

You're complaining about a very small percentage of wilderness that you cant hunt here without guide, while ignoring the amount of Federal Lands you can hunt. It would take you a lifetime to hunt all the federal lands that are available to you.

Fair enough. I'm using the most egregious cases to state my case. Overall Wyoming is a very good state for non-resident but these laws(and prices) are only headed in the wrong direction.

For the record, not one of the best animals my wife and I have killed in Wyoming were shot in designated wilderness.

I don't doubt your hunting skills and accomplishments and yes Wyoming has many opportunities and I'd like it to stay that way.

Quando omni flunkus moritati