What Alamosa has said is correct. In general. Although, the attached photo was taken on the last day of 4th rifle in 2012 within 200 yards of the Rainbow Trail. I bumped a bedded group of 25 at mid-day ... and I wasn't even hunting. So, basically, nothing is impossible, but hard work and luck are about equal for success when rifle hunting elk in the Sangres. His photo is pretty typical of where they are much of the time ... at or above timberline. So, expect to be climbing up to or over 13,000 feet. And carrying one down boned out will take several trips. If you can afford the the time to acclimate it will be time very well spent. The majority of the Sangres above the Rainbow Trail is designated Wilderness and that means foot & horse access only. No bikes, no ATV's ... nothing but boots & saddles. You're unlikely to be hunting private land so you'll spend all your time above 9,000 feet.

The best way I can describe hunting in the Sangre de Cristo's is ... Armed Hiking.

But that's fine. The days you spend there don't count against your allotted lifespan. (So I may very well live an extra century)

[Linked Image]

"Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming"