Originally Posted by saddlesore
Colrado leans towards quantity elk,not quality.It brings in a lot more money.There is a reason why you have to pay $850 for high demand hunts in NM, or hefty fees in Montana and Idaho.

If you want to shoot a big bull pay the big bucks and hunt the northern Gila in NM, or buy a private land tag for some area in CO and pay an outfitter

There is always a chance of taking 300+ bulls on public land,which I assume you wnat to hunt, but as KC said that chance is slim. Im the one who he mentioned had 19 ppoints to draw area 201. Average bulls there are about 320 with a few every year toping 350. They issue 25 tags a year. Now compare that with your 2 points wanting a 300 bull and you see where that puts you.
Hell, most of us are darn glad to be able to hunt elk every year and shoot mediocre ones,or even cows.

I'm in that group! I've been hunting elk in Colorado on and off since the mid 80s and ain't got one yet. Now I've been stationed out of the state for several of those years, and others I was somewhat limited in how far I could get from roads as my Dad was with me and couldn't move real well, so I haven't serioulsy put in the effort for 25 years and come up blank.

I see bulls when I have a cow tag or the day before the season. I see cows when i have a bull tag, or they're heading into thick stuff and gone by the time I get there. I'm still learning about these critters and hope to get my first trophy cow this year. I'll mount it on the grill instead of the wall, though. Numbers and rack size mean nothing to me.

That said, I've seen a lot of really nice bulls on public land earlier in the year...apparently somebody provides them with season info, though, because come opening day, they're nowhere around.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."