Originally Posted by ingwe
I like to be succinct when I say things. There's a reason the english language has so many words right? Might as well use them...

Example: Yesterday I tell someone The German Shepherd won the Herding Group at Westminster. Today I tell them the German Shepherd won Best in Show. " Yeah, you told me that yesterday..."

Example: I ate way too many fish as a poor college student. I still like fish with shells and claws but I won't eat a fish with fins. " What About Halibut?"

Example: I ate way too many beans as a kid, now the only legume of any kind I will eat is a peanut. " What about lima beans?"...

And on it goes......

Or is it just that I'm a curmudgeon?

Simple & direct usually works. But sometimes it's worth it to ask the question a little differently. Was searching resumes online, trying to find a new engineer. Found one guy who appeared to be perfect, but his resume said "will not relocate" Otherwise he was perfect.

I emailed him, asking if his "will not relocate" was still valid, as otherwise he was a great fit. It turns out, he'd just the day before decided to accept relocation. He's been here 3 days, and he may be the best guy I've hired in a long time!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."