I agree with most of the complaints about softshells mentioned above. Yet, it is my most used jacket during hunting season. Go figure...

Windshirts block wind and repel rain better (generally). Rain jackets are better in both rain and wind IME. Windshirts and rain jackets can both accommodate insulation layers well. My Houdini windshirt + Montbell EX Light down jacket weighs a crazy light 11 ounces and does everything my Kuiu Guide Jacket at 24 ounces will do and more. My Arcteryx rain coat + Western Mountaineering down jacket will work through the worst of conditions and still weighs less than the softshell.

Yet during hunting season I still use my softshell more. I haven't found a windshirt quiet enough to stalk a mulely in yet. I would never dare wad-up my rain jacket to sit on while glassing in the shale. The softshell seems to have the perfect balance of wind resistance / breath-ability during the fall hunting seasons in my area. I don't get too nervous wearing my softshell around the campfire. I would be hesitant wear either my windshirt or rain jacket through some of the brush I have to bust through, not to mention some of the snags that have literally pulled me to the ground and not damaged the softshell. So the softshell continues to have a place in my pack each fall, at least until something better comes along.