I know Vek's BTDT, and so have I. 50 mile days, leading water ice and multi pitch alpine routes, a few dozen backpack hunts, etc. He's likely done it it wetter conditions on average, and for sure that's where most softshells show their weakness.

That said, there are a TON of what can be called "softshells", starting with the original Buffalo shirt and shelled micropile that came out of europe. A fleece paired with a windshirt is essentially a softshell, as is a 2 pound LL bean monstronsity with a Gore Windstopper layer that keeps all your sweat from escaping.

It's all a matter of science, and comes down to air permeability, water permeability, face fabric, liner fabric, and DWR. Except for DWR, all the others are some version of a trade-off and are exhibited by the wide range of options on the market. DWR makes any shell (soft or otherwise) tick, because temperature and moisture gradients drive the whole process.

I'm not saying they are perfect for any and all conditions, but there's a lot more nuance to the softshell concept than trying one technology and having it not work.