I hate to take off my pack unless static for>than 30 mins. My best combo for cold weather is all synthetics in several layers topped w/ a Marmot Precip jacket. Start out w/ all zips closed, a neck gaiter and a fur trapper hat. As exertion causes temps to rise the hood comes off, a more breathable lighter hat goes on, pit zips and neck zips get opened as necessary to control sweating as much as possible.

When stopping to glass or call reverse the process and add a primaloft or down jacket in which the caller, remote and extra batteries were wrapped w/ a chemical handwarmer. Yesterday when it clouded up and the wind started whipping I wore the Primaloft jacket under the rain shell for the downhill return to the truck. Temps ranged from 7* f to 24*f w/ winds from calm to about 15 mph.

I usually am w/ my wife and we carry extra stuff on an exterior pouch on our packs and assist each other w/ gear changes which is very efficient. Drink frequently, I use a timer in my watch and drink from my platy every 15 mins and do a Gu once per hour.

cold weather can be fun, somebody on this site has a sig line that states "there is no bad weather only bad gear.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC