Originally Posted by sherm_61
Go with the lighter bullets some 12 twists won't stabilize the 40 grainers. Seems people have better luck with the 39gr. Sierra in 12 twists.

This is not correct. The **Hornady** 40 won't always shoot well in a 1-12" twist. I've never NOT had the Nosler 40 grain shoot in a 1-12" twist. The weight doesn't really matter, it's bullet length that matters and there's a lot of difference in length within any given weight. The Hornady bullet has a pretty exaggerated boat tail, which is why it's BC is higher, but that makes it longer, too.

My first PacNor 1-12" twist barrel wouldn't shoot the 40 grain Hornadys well. The current one, also a 1-12" twist PacNor, shoots them around half inch.

You are, however, right in that the 39 grain Sierras tend to shoot very well. Same situation .. they have a much less pronounced boat tail and are shorter like the 40 grain Nosler.

I have a box of the 39 grain TNTs .. haven't gotten around to trying them. The 45 grain Hornady shoots real well in my guns. Being a flat based bullet, it's short for its weight.

I haven't tried the 32 grain Sierra in my gun. Both the 32 grain Nosler and 32 grain VMAX shoot very well.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...