VarmintGuy,

Extend your ballistic tables to 500 yards and you'll find there's no difference in "flatness", but even more difference in wind-drift. I usually use my .204 at ranges from 300 yards to around 450-500, depending on the wind, and yes, there is a definite advantage to 40's.

At closer ranges I use much smaller rounds, these days usually one of the Hornet-based rounds, from the .17 Hornady to the .22 K-Hornet. But even when I've used the .204 for ALL prairie dog shooting, I much preferred 40's at ranges beyond 300, because of wind-drift. (Beyond 500 even more wind-resistant cartridges and, especially, bullets help considerably.)

Yeah, if the wind is STEADY holding off isn't a big deal. But in my experience it rarely is, and a bullet that resists wind more also reduces variations in drift due to variations in wind velocity and angle. If you actually tried 40's much at 300+ yards you'd realize this. It's not theoretical, but quite obvious to anybody who actually tries it. It was to me the first year the .204 appeared.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck