Wayne,

I really enjoyed this article. Thank you for sharing your real life experiences in hunting and shooting Elk.

It seems that most hunters talk of "shooting", rather than hunting. Whether it is Deer, Elk, Moose, .. etc. The conversation is generally about the cartridge, sectional density, ballistics, tactical turrets and long distance shots. Today, rarely does one hear a hunter tell of their skill in closing the distance - rather that their rifle shoots 1/2 MOA and is deadly to 1000 yds from the bench (in a lead sled).

As a younger man, I acquired a copy of "The hunters shooting guide" by Jack O'connor. In it the author encourages the reader to practice shooting, away from the bench, in various shooting positions (prone, kneeling, sitting, etc.). Doing so, I quickly realized my own limitations as a shooter. From the bench I learned that my rifle and load were very accurate and capable of taking game at well beyond 400 yds, but I wasn't - not without practice.

Your mention of practicing prone with a sling - and your 90% rule - keeping 9 of 10 shots in the kill zone reminded me of my own time spent practicing. I believe more than a few "shooters" could benefit from reading your article.

Thanks again.

Mark