Thank you Wayne for your wisdom and insight,

In the last 38 years, I've taken elk in Utah, Nevada, and Arizona. I'm guessing somewhere around 22-25 animals. Mostly bulls, and a half dozen cows. All under 200 yards. Most less than 100 yards.

My father was not a hunter. I usually went with one of my best friends and his father "Steve" in northern Utah. For as many years as I new "Steve" he was able to harvest an elk every year he hunted. His "go to" rifles were either a pre WWII Remington Model 141 chambered in .35 Remington, or a Remington Model 81 in .300 Savage.

"Steve" new me. He new me well, as I had been hunting pheasants, grouse, ducks, geese etc. with him since I was 12. And I new "Steve" and respected him as a mentor. The very first thing that "Steve" taught me was that the cartridge size was not nearly as important as shot placement.

When I was 15, I bought my first center fire rifle. I had wanted a .300 WM or 7mm RM as they were all the rage in 1978. I also recall having shot a 300 WM loaded with a 220 gr bullet that really hurt when I was 14 years old. Then I rememebered what "Steve" had taught me. So, I purchased me a Ruger M77R chambered in .30-06 Sprg at a now defunct store called ZCMI in Ogden, UT. I thought that I was on TOP OF THE WORLD. If I recall, I paid $189.00 for it. It wears a weaver K4 to this day.

I'm a man of large stature. 6'2" tall and 275 lbs. I'm not recoil shy. Yes, I've taken animals with a .338 WM. I've harvested Arizona Coues Whitetail at close to 500+ yards with a 7mm RM. I've taken Mule Deer at 400+ yards in Utah and Nevada with the .30-06. And yes, they were one shot kills. But, these days, I find myself wanting to shoot at distance's less than 200 yards with a lighter rifle and less recoil.

Back to your article, and the 90 percent rule. In my opinion, you are 100% on target with your "90 Percent Rule" on a 16" target, at a target less than 200 yards, from multiple positions such as standing, kneeling, prone, off of shooting sticks, with a rifle that one can shoot well is the best advise there is. It's a better choice to shoot a rifle that one can shoot well and hit his intended target each and everytime, rather than miss or wound an animal with a rifle/cartridge that causes one to flinch and pull shots due to anticipation of heavy recoil. I'd rather take an ethical shot with a heavy 6mm bullet at a short range (less than 200 yards) knowing I could place in the "kill zone" rather than shoot one of my heavier magnums at a long distance target and hope that my shot placement is at the point I intended and risk losing a majestic animal.

I know that there will be "nay sayer's" on using a heavy 6mm bullet over a 180 gr bullet out of a 300 WM, but it's my opinion if you can't shoot it well, with an ethical shot, then don't shoot. You need to wait for a chance to put place a well placed shot into the vitals, rather than wound an Elk and take the chance of losing it.

Thanks again for the great article.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.