Max, as you've pointed out, all your loads are shooting tight enough for elk hunting. I had a similar experience some years ago with a .338 that shot a standard softnose best. I used it to good effect on the elk hunt, but in retrospect would have done as well with a bullet designed to drive deeper and retain more weight. You'll probably kill as many elk with one load as another in that .358. I'd choose the Partition. You rightly considered conditions. If late-season hunting will increase the chances you'll get a quartering shot, the Partition's weight and construction give it an edge. Cost is of no account, in my view. Given the other expenses incurred hunting elk, the price of a box of bullets or ammo is insignificant. To get more trigger time at lower cost, use the Speers. Good hunting!.... Wayne

Originally Posted by marshland_max
Great article thanks!

Well, I have a question for Wayne!

A friend and myself are heading out after elk this coming November(2017). We fully intend to be hunting the timber as we will be out there for third week of season. I m planning on caring a compact custom 358 Winchester I built from a Rem 700 SA.

I have been working a number of loads for it, so far the most accurate load has been a Hornady 200 gr RN interlock. Its shooting an average of 2684 FPS from my rifle. I have Chronograph nearly 100 rounds for this average now.

My rifle keeps that load under 1/2 inch consistently.

The other loads I have worked are 220 Speer and 225 Partition both at 2500 fps. Both of those loads will shoot into an 1 - 1 1/4 inch if I do my part. These are also excellent loads.

The Nosler Partition offers the the best ballistics easily of all the bullets. It's just a tad less accurate is and is easily the most expensive load to make.

The factory Hornady 200 gr Spire Point also shoots well at 2550-2600 fps. Its fairly accurate and the price equals the cost of my hand loads that are equivalent.

I also have Speer 250 Hot cores I haven't developed a load for yet on hand. I have Barnes 200 gr TTSX as well.

I really want to know if the load that is most accurate (200 grain round nose)or the factory load would also be suitable for hunting elk in challenging third week conditions? Do the benefits of the Nosler out way the other bullets? If its not what bullets may suit better?

Thank You