Originally Posted by captdavid
Can you shoot all the hogs out. I don't think so. Maybe you can scare them off for a while, but not kill them all. My experience is that pigs are not territorial. They move dependent upon food or human pressure. I suspect that they are much like coyote. Here in South Texas they did an experiment. I don't remember the exact facts, but here is the just of the matter. There was a ranch that was over 10,000 acres, as I recall. A state highway bisected the ranch approximately equally. On one side of the highway all coyoties were killed on sight. On the other side, none were shot. The ranch was monitored by TPW. At the end of 5 years the coyote population had remained the same on both sides. Captdavid

You don't reckon a 'yote can cross a highway. Even if high fenced, they'll scratch under the wire and go where they want.

Wonder how much money TPW wasted on that one...

Hogs will breed faster than you or anyone can kill them.

They're smart, will adapt to about anything we can throw at them.

Choppers, well they stay in the brush, don't come out. Shooting pressure, they go nocturnal. Night scopes, they'll always find a way to move out of danger. Trapping works until they figure it out.

Not sure about poisoning with nitrites. Knowing hogs, they'll probably figure a way to avoid the bait.

DF