Originally Posted by ruger243223
We need to get trailer to move our children back and forth from college. We will be using trailer for many many years 15+. Looking at a 7x14 or a 6x12. Should I go with a double axle or double axle. Trips will be long but not alot of weight and I don't antisipate there being heavy loads very often. Will pull with our suburban and 3/4 ton pickup, but suburban on most trips. Any help with brands and size will be great. Thanks and HAPPY HUNTING
Double axle - and 7' wide - not 8.. (easier to 'stay within the mirrors').. Longer (say, 14') can be better due to easier backing/maneuvering issues.

I've had an American Hauler 12'X7' for a few years now - and used it just like you indicated; moving kid back/forth from college. Use it now to bring the bikes to Harley dealer for service if/when weather sux..

The comment re: tires above as to increased wear etc., IMHO don't really apply nearly as much as if the same setup was on a camper.. Usually the enclosed trailers like mine are empty 90% of the time - and even when loaded rarely get to the GVW of the trailer (8K in my case).. Just always bring a spare tire/wheel and appropriate tools/jack to change one if the need ever arises..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!